Karen Grimes Scholar Reading Challenge 2014!
Welcome to the Karen Grimes Scholar Award!
The purpose of this award is to encourage children to read the classics in children’s literature. These books are part of our cultural and literary heritage and should be familiar to all. This is a prestigious award that is a true accomplishment.
So, what does it take to complete the Grimes Scholar Challenge and become a Grimes Scholar or a Junior Grimes Scholar?
- To become a Junior Grimes Scholar, the participant must read or listen to all the picture books in the Karen Grimes Collection of Classic Picture Books within the calendar year.* The child must be between the ages 5 – 8 to participate.
- To become a Grimes Scholar, the participant must read a minimum of 50 books in the Karen Grimes Collection of Classic Juvenile Fiction and Non Fiction books within the calendar year.* It is recommended that the child be in 3rd grade or higher. All books must be read by the participant to complete the challenge.
General Rules and Information
1. All books must be read in 2014. If book has been read prior to 2014, you must reread the book! Remember: “a good book is worth re-reading!”
2. No DVD or VHS versions of the books are permitted.
3. A maximum of 20 JReadalong format books may be used in the Junior Grimes Challenge. A maximum of 8 JBooks on CD may be used in the Grimes Scholar Challenge.
4. No abridged versions of any book are permitted.
5. Please come to the library to pick up a booklet has been prepared listing all the eligible titles. Use the booklet to keep track of your progress. We strongly recommend that booklets be kept in a safe place.
6. Enter your titles online and come to the Children's Room to report on your progress and pick up your Silver & Gold certificates.
7. All Junior Grimes Scholars and Grimes Scholars will receive a medal at a ceremony to be held in January 2015. Details and invitations to be announced at a later date.
8. If there are any questions, please ask a Children’s Librarian or call us at 203-594-5002.
This year enrollment and book tracking will take place online. Please use the links below.
Junior Grimes (PreK-3rd grade) registration and logging.
Grimes (3rd-6th grade) registration and logging.