Checking Out Ebooks Just Got Easier
We are pleased to announce that Library users will now be able to search, checkout, place holds, download to their device, and even read ebooks without leaving Encore, the Library's public access online catalog. Recent software enhancements will provide seamless integration with OverDrive, the Library's largest digital content provider, enabling users to manage their ebooks alongside their physical books through a single interface.
The process is simple:
- Use Encore, our online catalog, to search for an OverDrive ebook just like you would a physical book
- Click the Check Out with OverDrive icon to checkout an available OverDrive ebook
- If you are not already logged in, enter your name and barcode number to access your Patron Account
- Choose Check Out to check out the item or Cancel to cancel the action
- When ready to view or download your ebook, choose your format (EPUB, Kindle or View in OverDrive Read) from the Get eBook drop-down list. Choosing View in OverDrive Read will allow you to read your ebook in your web browser.
- For ebooks not currently available, click Place Hold with OverDrive and enter your email address. Overdrive will send you an email when the item becomes available.
- You can view and manage all of your checkout ebooks and items on hold by clicking My eBooks in your Patron Account.
While the Library offers many other e-content services, Overdrive is currently is the only ebook provder that integrates with our Online Catalog. Please visit our Downloadable Library page to see more e-content offerings.
Please email or call the Digital Services Department at 203-594-5010 for any questions about this new service.