New! Freading eBooks
What is Freading?
Freading is a new type of eBook lending that offers simultaneous access to a wide variety of books from many different publishers. Over 20,000 titles are available and more are added weekly. Freading users log in with their New Canaan library card number and have full access to the entire collection. Freading titles are always available. No waiting lists.
Each user is allotted five tokens per week. These tokens are used to exchange for the eBook checkouts. Each book ranges in value from one to four tokens, usually based on the publishing date or popularity of the items. Checkouts are for two weeks. Books can be renewed, usually for zero tokens, and can be returned early. Tokens can be accrued during a month of access, but are reset at the beginning of each month. The user will also need to install Adobe Digital Editions and set up an Adobe ID. Adobe handles the digital rights management and allows you to transfer eBooks from the computer to devices, when necessary. Many of you are already familiar with Adobe Digital Editions from using the Library's other eBook service, OverDrive.
What eReaders does Freading work with?
Most popular eReading devices will work with Freading, with the exception of the standard Amazon Kindle. Freading has an app that works with the Kindle Fire.
You can use the service with:
- Either a PC or Mac. Use Adobe Digital Editions to read downloaded books.
- The Nook family of readers from Barnes & Noble. Nooks cannot download directly from Freading, but you can download books to your computer and then transfer them to the Nook with Adobe Digital Editions.
- Apple iPod, iPhone, and iPad. Users download the Freading app from the App store. They then register the app with their Adobe Digital Editons ID and use the browser on the device (e.g. Safari) to log in to Freading and check out a book. The App will then allow access to the book.
- The Kobo eReader and Vox tablet.The Freading App is in the Getjar App store.
- Most Android based tablets and phones.Devices must be at least version 2.2 of Android and have access to the full Android App Market. Find the App in the Android Market and install. Register it with the Adobe Digital Editions user id and download books directly with the App. Note - special instructions for downloading the Freading app for Kindle Fire are available in the Freading FAQ.
Apps and Adobe Digital Editions