Readers Advisory Librarian
NEW CANAAN LIBRARY VISION
New Canaan Library is the town’s source for discovery and inspiration. Our mission is to empower and inspire learning through innovation, education and discovery.
Position responsibilities; Engage community through collections
- Offer fluent readers’ advisory service to our members in person, via telephone, or online.
- Implement proven and new methodologies particular to readers’ advisory service and create innovative tools and platforms for our members to engage with the Library.
- Work closely with the Adult Services and Collections departments to promote and increase usage of our collections.
Support the Manager and Assistant Manager of Adult & Public Services in the strategic initiatives of the department and the Library.
Key Functional relationships
- Manager of Adult & Public Services
- Assistant Manager of Adult & Public Services
- Members of Adult Services Team
- Collections Manager
- Collections Team
- Consistently provide exceptional readers’ advisory, information and reference services at the Information Desk.
- Design, maintenance, and rotation of material displays in and around the Library.
- Participate in and contribute to Library outreach events and initiatives with a special focus on readers’ advisory.Encourage collaborative partnerships within the Library to support ongoing initiatives.
- Create reader’s advisory content for the Library’s website and social media platforms.
- Delivery of excellent Information Desk service especially Reader’s Advisory
- Keep an up-to-date knowledge of all Information Desk procedures and tools.
- Keep up-to-date with new tools and trends in readers’ advisory services and sharing this information with the team at-large.
- Participation with Collections for new materials acquisitions in all formats and the weeding of the collection, where appropriate.
- Effective collaboration and engagement with other departments to enable delivery of seamless services to whole community (on site, online and by telephone).
- Responsible for keeping up-to-date with new tools and trends in reference services and readers’ advisory.
- Lead and participate in professional in-house learning.
- Serve on library committees or projects as needed .
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent service ethos and dynamic, interpersonal abilities
- Enjoys working with the public and has a good sense of humor
- Love of books and reading and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Well organized and reliable
- Team player with strong communication skills both written and in person
- Self-starter who takes initiative
- Strong personal/professional learning focus
- Strong customer focus
- Excellent judgment
- Develops and empowers Information Desk colleagues’ skills as readers’ advisors.
- Ongoing self-directed professional development
STARTING SALARY RANGE
$51,300 – $55,000
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited school preferred – OR – Bachelor’s degree (at a minimum) plus 5 years of equivalent book or library related experience
- 35 hr/week including some nights and weekends
- Up to 4-6 hours at the Information Desk per work day.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a copy of resume to Christle Chumney, Manager of Adult & Public Services, email@example.com.