The New Canaan Library enthusiastically welcomes volunteer help for specific ongoing tasks and for special projects. Volunteers are treated with the same attention and respect accorded to the Library staff. Volunteers are not used to replace the staff.
• Volunteers fill out an application form and provide emergency contact and phone number information.
• Job descriptions for available positions are kept at the Information Services Desk.
• Volunteers attend an Orientation session and are interviewed to match skills to the available tasks.
• The Volunteer Coordinator assigns volunteers to departments /staff members. Decisions on volunteer assignments are based on the individual’s qualifications as they relate to the tasks for which she/he is being considered. The New Canaan Library does not discriminate against any person with regard to age, race, color, creed, national origin, handicap, political belief, religion, veteran’s status, marital status, sex or sexual orientation.
• Each volunteer reports to the department/staff member as assigned. For changes in assignments, the volunteer will consult with the Volunteer Coordinator.
• All volunteers receive training appropriate to the task(s) they are assigned to perform.
• Volunteers fill out a time sheet to record the number of hours they have worked.
• Although Volunteers occasionally assist the public, they do not perform public service tasks except for Library Guides. When patrons are in need of help, volunteers will refer them to the Reference, Information & Readers’ Services Librarian on duty.
• Volunteers should notify the Volunteer Coordinator or their assigned supervisor of any absence or delay in arrival.
• Volunteers must wear the New Canaan Library Volunteer Button to identify themselves. Business casual dress is expected. Jeans, sweatshirts, sweatpants, shorts, tank tops, tee shirts with graphics, logos, or inappropriate language are not acceptable.
• Volunteers must exercise appropriate conduct with the Library staff, the public, and the physical property of the New Canaan Library. An action that is deemed to be inappropriate by the Library Director may result in the volunteer being asked to cease their volunteer work with the Library.
Note: Friends volunteers please see separate Friends Policy Statement.
Approved by the Board of Trustees April 8, 2003